Yes, asking "How much do granite counters cost" is a bit like asking "How long should a man's legs be?" * And yes, estimating costs of anything related to home remodeling is difficult, because so many factors are involved.
But here at About Home Renovations, we are known for our sheer boldness, so we make a courageous stab at the question of how much granite kitchen counters cost.
Seriously, though, the cost of granite is incredibly scalable. You can install low-end DIY tile granite from Home Depot or Lowe's...or you can have the ritzy professionals fabricate and install slab granite: your choice.
Three things do have a significant bearing on the cost of granite counters: Why form of granite are we talking about anyway? You can install granite in at least three--even four--ways:
- Natural Slab Granite - Your most expensive option. Big chunks quarried straight from the Earth.
- Engineered Granite - "Formed" granite made of stone particles and binding agents.
- Tile Granite - These 12" x 12" (or other sizes) of granite tile you often see at home improvement stores, and which you can install yourself.
- Modular Granite - A happy medium between tile and slab.
* = Abe Lincoln: As long as they need to be.
Image Public Domain; Courtesy State of Michigan