But your wish is understandable. You just want to know if this is do-able. You want to know if you should even entertain the very idea of bathroom remodeling. So, combining personal experience with conversations with other homeowners--and infusing it all with hard data from Remodeling Online's classic annual Cost vs. Value report--I will give you that ballpark idea of what kinds of costs to expect for bathroom remodeling in the 2007-2008 year.
National Average for Bathroom RemodelingThis estimate is based on a 35-40 square foot bathroom. All fixtures and other items quoted are basic and functional. The remodeling contractor would do the following:
- Install a standard porcelain toilet.
- Lay down moisture-resistent vinyl wallpaper or paint with latex paint.
- Install a dip-coat 60" long porcelain/steel tub and shower combination.
- Install ceramic tile surround, around tub, with basic four-inch square tile.
- Install a solid-surface counter with integrated sink.
- Install single-lever shower control.
- Install lighted combination mirror/medicine cabinet.
- Lay down ceramic tile floor.
Locality MattersCalifornia and the Pacific Northwest maxes out the bathroom remodeling estimates, with figures reaching $18,000. Southern states (east of the Mississippi) have the lowest bathroom remodeling costs, ranging around $15,000.
You can cut bathroom remodeling costs by aggressively shopping around for remodeling companies. Also, you can take on some of the easier jobs yourself, such as toilet installation and wall treatment projects.