Details of the Professional Bathtub Refinishing Process
The tub reglazing process is different
between the two national tub refinishing franchises, Miracle Method
, as well as the local, non-franchised companies. However, there is some common ground:
- Clean bathtub and remove caulking.
- Mask around the bath tub and cover areas not to be refinished.
- Remove fixtures and overflow cover.
- Set up ventilation fan to vent overspray and odor outside.
- Lightly sand entire bathtub.
- Depending on the service you choose, the tub may also be etched with acid to help the coatings adhere.
- Vacuum bathtub.
- Fill chipped, scratched, or worn areas, then sand smooth. If there is extensive damage, the restorer may charge nominal extra fees for this.
- Put down drop-cloths and covers over cabinets, sinks, fixtures, toilet, etc.
- Spray-paint up to 3 coats of a primer; let dry.
- Between 3-4 layers of top coat mixture are spray-painted.
- Miracle Method comes back a few days later for a final buffing. Permaglaze does not do this because they say that their process does not lead to imperfections that would necessitate buffing.
Tub is ready to use within 48 hours. Your new coat is durable but not as durable as the original coating. As a result, do not clean with any abrasive cleaners such as Comet.
"That's Great, But Can I Save Money by Refinishing my Bathtub Myself...?