Vinyl flooring--also known as resilient flooring--ranks up with concrete and ceramic tile as one of the better basement flooring ideas out there. But keep in mind that vinyl flooring comes in both tile and sheet form, and there is a subtle difference.
With sheet vinyl flooring, you create a nearly seamless, water-impervious surface on your basement floor, always a good thing where moisture might be involved. Tile vinyl flooring has multiple seams that may invite moisture infiltration if water is left standing long enough.
- Keeps water at bay.
- Inexpensive, often pennies per square foot.
- Tile vinyl flooring is a fast DIY project.
- Warmer to the touch than ceramic tile or concrete.
- Often considered a cheap fix.
- Needs a very clean surface for adhesion.