Pros and Cons of Installing Fiber-Cement SidingPros
- Considerably more fire-resistent than vinyl or wood siding.
- Imprinted designs imitate wood-grain remarkably well, even from close-up.
- Tougher, stronger than vinyl siding.
- Can be cost-effective when compared to a full-scale refurbishment of wood clapboard.
- Can be painted, thus giving homeowner more design choices.
- Cost. Fiber-cement is far more expensive than vinyl siding.
- One advantage--painting--is also its downfall. Exterior painting is difficult and expensive.
- Slower installation time than vinyl (though faster than refurbishing wood siding).
- Typically not a do-it-yourself job. Most types of siding (and especially fiber-cement) should be installed by professionals.