Warning: this method will free the window, but it will chip away much paint from your window and frame. Use this method only if you intend to re-paint or strip paint from your windows and frame.
- Obtain a tool called a window zipper. That's the generic word for it. Red Devil, the manufacturer, calls it a Windo-Zipper.
With its thin blade, it fits right between the window and frame. With its sharp sawtooth edge, it rips right through multiple layers of old paint.
Buy Direct - Window Zipper - Red Devil Windo-Zipper
- In addition to the serrated edge, the Window Zipper has two sharp points at the end. Use one of these sharp points to force the Window Zipper into the crack.
- Lightly rip the length of the crack, using only the sharp point. Do this several times with increasing intensity until the point has entered the crack.
- Now, begin ripping with the serrated edge--lightly but increasing pressure. When the blade can fit all the way into the crack (at least 1/4"), then you know that this side is free.
- Repeat for the other 3 sides of the window.
What You Need
- Red Devil Windo-Zipper or equivalent